Vegan MoFo #18 – I saw these purple potatoes at the grocery store this week and couldn’t resist bringing some home with me. Look at that awesome color! I’m also going “low-carb” next week, and then 100% raw the following week, so I figured I’d go ahead and indulge in some big ol’ potatoes this week while there’s still time!
I found a recipe for “New Potatoes with Mustard Dressing” in an advertisement for Udo’s Oil 3-6-9 blend a few years back. I’ve been making the recipe every summer since then – actually, a slightly modified version of it that is even healthier. It’s quick & easy, and a great way to get essential omega oils into your diet.
Unfortunately, the lovely color of the potatoes faded quite a bit from boiling them. Does anyone know how to better preserve the color next time? Would the color remain if I used them in a recipe that calls for baking, instead of boiling?
Anyway, here’s one of my favorite potato side-dish recipes… Enjoy!
Light & Healthy Potato Salad
- 2 1/4 lb new potatoes, scrubbed, quartered or diced skin left on (I used these purple ones instead)
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped (I use dill)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp prepared mustard (I use Dijon)
- 2 tsp sugar (I use 2 tsp maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Udo’s Oil 3-6-9 Blend or cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, approximately 10-15 minutes. Drain well.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl, and add hot potatoes to dressing. Toss until well coated.
- Season to taste. Set aside for a few minutes to let potatoes absorb dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature. (It’s also great chilled.)