I saw a shrimp-based version of this recipe in Chatelaine magazine a few years ago and have been serving-up veganized ever since. In fact, made it for my parents when I was home visiting them last month. Instead of shrimp, I use tofu, and I marinade it for a little while before grilling it. The coconut rice is simple and delicious, and it pairs so well with the spicy tofu, cool cucumber, and sweet mango.
NOTE: Although the original recipe called for barbecuing the
shrimp tofu, I find that it’s equally good sauteed on the stove. So while it’s a great summer recipe, this is also nice any time of the year when you’re in the mood for something with a little tropical flair! I’ve included both options in the recipe below.
Tofu + Mango + Cucumber with Coconut Rice Salad
- 8 wooden skewers (if barbecuing)
- 400-mL can coconut milk, preferably light
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati or long-grain rice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot chili flakes
- 1/2 lb (250 g) green beans
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 package firm tofu, cut into triangles
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground coriander and garlic salt
- fresh coriander (cilantro) (garnish, optional)
- Place tofu in a bowl. Add oil, coriander and garlic salt. Toss to coat and set aside. If barbecuing, soak skewers in water. Wait 20 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 21/2 cups (625 mL). Pour into a large saucepan. Stir in rice, cardamom, cinnamon stick, salt and chili flakes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 10 min. Trim beans and slice in half. After rice has cooked 10 min, scatter beans overtop. Cover and cook, until liquid is absorbed, 10 min. Turn into a large bowl. Discard cinnamon stick if using. Stir in onions. Set aside.
- Slice mango into thin bite-size strips. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Scrape out and discard seeds. Coarsely chop. Stir both into rice mixture.
- If barbecuing the tofu: Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium. Thread 4 to 5 tofu triangles on a skewer. For easy turning, thread a second skewer through tofu. Repeat. Grill for about 2 min per side. Otherwise, heat oil in frying pan and saute tofu for a few minutes, until lightly browned.
- Serve tofu over coconut rice salad, garnish with fresh coriander (cilantro).
Adapted from: Shrimp with coconut rice salad, Chatelaine Magazine