Tofu & Spinach Cannelloni (Manicotti)
- 8 cannelloni/manicotti noodles, cooked al dente
- 1 16 oz. jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1o oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed and chopped – or 1 bag of fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 16 oz. firm or silken tofu
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews, drained and finely ground (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Shredded vegan cheese, such as Daiya (optional)
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the onions in the oil until translucent. Stir in the spinach and turn off the heat.
- In a bowl, mix the tofu, cashews (if using), carrots, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach-onion mixture to the tofu mixture and stir until well-mixed.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Pour a thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom of a 9×13″ pan.
- Fill each cooked shell with filling using a small spoon. Line the filled shells up in the pan and cover with the rest of the pasta sauce.
- Cover the pan with foil to keep the shells from drying out.
- Bake for about 30 minutes,or until bubbling.
- If adding vegan cheese, sprinkle it on top for the final 2 minutes in the oven.
Recipe by Vegangela at http://www.vegangela.com/2010/10/22/vegan-spinach-manicotti/