Fresh Restaurant's Tangled Thai Salad
Author: Jennifer Houston, Fresh Restaurant
Recipe type: Salad, Main
- 1 cup chopped napa cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup jicama, cut into small sticks
- 2⁄3 cup peeled raw carrot, spiralized (or cut/peeled into julienne)
- 2⁄3 cup peeled raw yellow beets, spiralized (or cut into julienne)
- 4 tbsp Peanut Lime Dressing (recipe follows)
- 3 slices cucumber, halved (or cut into julienne)
- 2 tsp chopped raw peanuts
- 2 tbsp Fresh Salad Topper (recipe follows)
- 1⁄4 lime
- Cilantro to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 tsp sambal oelek (a South Asian chili sauce)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, densely packed
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp plus 1⁄2 tsp tamari (a type of soy sauce)
- 1-1⁄2 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 2 tsp coconut milk (optional)
- 3⁄4 tsp sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 cup puffed quinoa (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup goji berries
- 1⁄4 cup currants (optional)
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp pistachios, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- ½ block of tofu (about 225 g)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp coconut or peanut oil
- In a blender, purée all but sunflower oil. With blender running, add oil in a thin stream.
- Makes 1 cup, enough for 4 salads
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Makes approx. 1-3/4 cups; refridgerate unused portion
- Slice tofu into 1 inch rectangles or triangles.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place cornstarch and breadcrumbs in two separate small bowls. Coat tofu pieces with cornstarch, and then press breadcrumbs into them.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Put cabbage into a large bowl and top with jicama. Pile the carrot and beet strands on top and drizzle with Peanut Lime Dressing.
- Garnish with cucumber, peanuts, Fresh Salad Topper, lime and cilantro.
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2011/08/06/fresh-restaurant-tangled-thai-salad/