Spinach & Lemon Quinoa Bake
Author: Angela @ Vegangela.com
Recipe type: Main, Side, Starter, Appetizer
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa (or 2 cups cooked)
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp vegan Ener-G egg replacer + 4 tbsp water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound spinach leaves, picked and washed
- 1 cup Tofutti sour cream (or cashew sour cream or tofu sour cream)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Bring broth and quinoa to boil. Lower heat to lowest setting and simmer while covered for about 20 minutes or until it is fluffy and the tiny curls stick out from the seeds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with olive oil.
- In a large medium mixing bowl, whisk egg replacer and water together. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add thyme, rosemary, and red-pepper flakes, and spinach and sauté until just wilted. Remove from heat; transfer to the egg mixture.
- Add quinoa, sour cream, lemon zest, pepper, and nutritional yeast to the spinach-onion mixture, and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and place in the oven. Bake for 60 minutes, until set and edges are brown. Let cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine, September 2001
Recipe by Vegangela at http://www.vegangela.com/2012/12/18/spinach-lemon-quinoa-bake/