Easy Lemon Lentil Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1½ cups dry split red lentils, cleaned and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (or cilantro / coriander), finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook on low heat for five minutes.
- Add cumin and lentils, combine well. Add stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender and soup is beginning to thicken, about 30 minutes.
- Add extra stock or water to thin if necessary. Add lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Adapted from: http://www.lentils.ca/recipes/lentil-lemon-soup
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2013/06/06/easy-lemon-lentil-soup/